Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas dinner in Canada

We ate our Christmas dinner in a light smog, due to my continuing inability to adapt my cooking to a North American oven. Next year we'll have pot-roast again and I'll wait until I'm back in the UK with an oven that does not smoke and a kitchen which is a separate room with doors, before I attempt another roast duck (or goose or chicken or turkey).

In Europe the advantage of having one's kitchen separate from the rest of the dwelling area had been discovered by the medieval period. N. American kitchens are an example of how a culture can go backwards. After three years of cooking smells wafting round our house I'm no longer surprised at how often Canadians eat out.

2 comments:

NOAH said...

happy holidays...

followed..your blog..

Jane said...

Thank-you. And you too.